#Selfie Generation

A selfie is a self-photograph, a style of portraiture that became popular in the 2000s. Selfies are often shared on social networking services such as Facebook, Google+, Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr, Twitter and MySpace. They are usually flattering and made to appear casual. -Wikipedia

***

When I grew up as a kid and as a teenager, I never heard the word #selfie before. I even didn't have a mobile phone.. until I was in the senior high school.. but I never used it, I just left it at home because I didn't need it at all and not many people had it. At that time we only used mobile phone to call someone (no SMS, no camera, no social media, no applications, and no touch screen of course, we can touch but nothing happen, haha..) And I still remember when the first time I received an SMS from the provider, I was so surprised.. "Wow, what is this??" :p

I also remember at that time, it was so hard to get an internet connection. I need to go to a place called "warnet" (warung internet) and I need to pay to use their computers to check my email, or sometimes I did chatting with mIRC.. It was so exciting because we were able to use the internet only once in a while.. Hmm.. I'm kinda miss those old times.. LOL.

But now.. internet and social media is everywhere! Mobile phones has replaced so many things in our lives (cameras, books, letters, radios, video games, even Bibles) so everywhere we go, we won't forget to bring our mobile phones. (But honestly, until now I still love and prefer to read my Bible book than the one in my phone :p) Technology is good.. but we also need to be careful with it..

#Selfie is one of the most popular things these days. We live in a #selfie generation. There is nothing wrong with #selfie, but we need to be wise. We have to know that there are things that we need to keep it just for ourself and we don't need to share it on the social media. We have to check our heart and our motivation, "Do I need to post and share this to others?" "Do I only want to impress people, or do I want to impact people through this posting?" "Do I only want to prove myself in front of public?"


Being constantly connected via technology is exhausting and unhealthy. I’m a recovering iPhone addict, but I’m learning that when I can shut down my phone and computer for extended periods of time, I’m more present in the moment and have more focus. When you do use social media, use it as a way to encourage people; not a way to try and impress people. -Dave Willis

I told my husband few days ago that I really really want to be careful with what I post on social media. I don't want to post something just for my own advantage, but I want to bless others and I want to impact people's lives. There are some pictures and moments that I will keep just for myself, or just between me and my husband (for example, we use "Between" application just for both of us).

I know it must be hard to stop posting something that we like to post; something that can make us look good, make people think positive about us, or maybe can make other people jealous :p But let's see what kind of example that Christ has done for us:

Philippians 2:3-8, MSG

Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don’t be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand.

Think of yourselves the way Christ Jesus thought of himself. He had equal status with God but didn’t think so much of himself that he had to cling to the advantages of that status no matter what. Not at all. When the time came, he set aside the privileges of deity and took on the status of a slave, became human! Having become human, he stayed human. It was an incredibly humbling process. He didn’t claim special privileges. Instead, he lived a selfless, obedient life and then died a selfless, obedient death—and the worst kind of death at that—a crucifixion.

Christ lived a #selfless life, and he also died #selfless. Can you see the difference?

Let's become a #selfless generation.. and not a #selfie or #selfish generation.. :)

***

I want to live to impact, not to impress..
I want to live to influence and inspire, not to intimidate..

Because..

My life is not about ME..
It is about GOD..




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
THE PRESENT Blog Design by Ipietoon